I cannot tell you how much time you need to spend preparing for a sales call. But I can tell you that three minutes is not enough to put together everything you need when it is about how to prepare a sales call. Therefore, here is what I consider helpful in making a sales call that produces positive results.
1. The importance of preparing for a sales call
First, to respond in advance to all anticipated requests from prospects. Second, to provide the necessary information that prospects should be aware of at the end of the conversation.
- To ensure control: Having control does not mean controlling in order to dominate, but monitoring the conversation process to achieve fruitful results in the end. How do you fill it out?
- Talk less and let the prospect talk more
- Contribute in the form of questions
- Ensure that objections are well addressed
- Recommendation options prepared
- Closing alternatives ready
- Look for good relationships with prospects
- Connect and build trust from the first conversation, because the second conversation will not happen if the first fails.
2. Objectives of each sales call
Goals make things visible to the inner eyes to see the unknown. For example, writing down the desired outcome before logging each sales call will reveal a lot of information. If you want something so bad, you will plan for it and make sure you get it. Planning alone will not get you anywhere if a goal has not been established. So what is the difference between planning and goal? Planning is just an overview showing the start and end of a project, as well as what is needed to complete it. Whereas a goal simply determines what to achieve after the successful implementation of the project within the standards of the road-map of an established plan. So why is it important for a salesperson to set goals for each sales call? Because once a goal is set, the vision becomes simpler to accomplish.
A powerful strategy that responds well to how to prepare a sales call is to visualize the whole process! It means visualizing how the start of a sales call process begins until the end of it. How? Step by step proper applications of the following:
Steps of sales call planning
- Objective establishment
- Direction and process
- Finding the prospect’s information
- Preparation on how to start a conversation
- Pick up line readiness
- Question methodology preparation
- Techniques to handle objections
- Strategies to confirm the next appointment
- Phone call winding up formula
3. What should you do before making a phone call?
Of course, check if you are ready or not. Previously outgoing calls should now be a reference to prepare for a next prospecting call. What do you think you would change about the questions you asked last time, and what could you change about them this time around? Also, think about common questions that potential buyers could potentially ask.
4. What should I prepare for a sales call?
- Finding information: Two main personalities to know; the contact person and the company working for.
Contact person: Function, activities, personal qualities, power of influence (How does this person fit in the company when it comes to making purchasing decisions?)
Company: The key factors to researching the company are to discover the industry in which it operates, the company culture, current challenges and potential needs.
- Identification of own influences and obstacles:
- Strengths: What is always working well for you?
- Weaknesses: The focus of most people is always on positive accomplishments, but this time take a look at failures. If there is anything salesmen think was difficult during past sales calls, then this is the obstacle to highlight.
5. How do you start a conversation on the phone for sales?
The fact that it is the first time to solicit a conversation with a prospect there is not much to say other than a simple “Hello, name and short intro”
Hi! My name is … and I’m calling from … We provide customizable work uniforms. Currently we are resolving the following issues … Benefits of successful call planning
- 1) Value Provided: In terms of a fair trade agreement, the values remain reciprocal for both parties. So, just as a seller expects a prospect to respond positively, so do the potential buyers.
- 2) Respect: Is more complementary after a professional conversation in a minimum of time. In fact, if a prospect is able to complement a salesperson for their professionalism, it is in fact a sign of respect. Then, in the end, respect brings business confirmation.
- Business opportunity: Obviously there should be a motivator somewhere hidden making the customer decide to accept and enter a business deal. Indeed there is a good reason for the customer to see and accept the seller’s proposal.
In conclusion, to answer the question about how to prepare a sales call is both important and necessary. So the process of preparing a sales call will take time in the initial stage, but it is a solid foundation and an ultimate investment. Again, not only odds of making the current sales call successful arise, but you are also left with a draft to use for next time.
Highly recommended readings: